[Equest-users] IPLV in Heat Pumps

David S Eldridge DSE at grummanbutkus.com
Mon Dec 21 07:27:56 PST 2009

eQuest automatically calculates part load performance based on the rated condition (COP in your case) and the performance curves that modify the power consumption based on temperature and part-load (and other factors for other equipment...water temperatures, etc.).

If you input IPLV where eQuest is expecting a COP, you'll be underestimating the power consumption from the units.  These inputs will often be in the form of "Energy Input Ratio", or EIR for many types of eQuest equipment which is the inverse of COP.

If you need to verify the part-load performance that will be calculated, you can use hourly reports to verify that using the COP and default performance curves gives a reasonable result.

As others mentioned, the IPLV references a specific set of weather and load, applied to the piece of equipment.  The average annual efficiency will vary based on your actual weather and load on the unit.

David
http://www.grummanbutkus.com