[Equest-users] Exterior lighting Simulation

Kimberly Killian Kimberly at NorthernArchitects.com
Tue Dec 22 04:49:24 PST 2009

Rick,

The site lighting is included in the requirement for EAC1. To add an exterior lighting load in detailed data entry, go to the Utility & Economics tab, and click on your electric meter. In spreadsheet view, you can drop down the list and go to Electric Meter - Direct Loads - Exterior. I've included a screen shot. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Kimberly Killian
Northern Architects, Inc.
207 King Street Suite 3
Burlington VT 05401
T: 802-658-1953
F: 802-658-2975

Original message
From: YinRic
To: "Equest User"
Subject: [Equest-users] Exterior lighting Simulation

Dear users,

For an office building reviewed by GBCI for LEED certification purpose, one comment we got is like this:

"Exterior lighting was not included in the proposed design or baseline design energy models as indicated in Table 1.4 of the Template and the end use is not included in Tables 1.8.1 and 1.8.2 of the Template. Please provide a narrative confirming that this project does not have any exterior lighting. If any exterior lighting exists within the scope of the project, please revise the exterior lighting power for the proposed design and baseline design models and update Table 1.4 of the Template so the exterior lighting power is included. Please ensure that the baseline exterior lighting power in Table 1.4 of the Template is equal to the ASHRAE allowable and that no credit is taken in the proposed design case for lighting reductions on non-tr adable surfaces per a LEED-NCv2.2 EAc1 CIR ruling dated 4/25/2007. In addition, ensure that the total exterior lighting power allowance for all exterior building applications does not exceed the sum of the individual lighting power densities permitted in Table 9.4.5 for these applications plus an additional unrestricted allowance of 5% of that sum per Section 9.4.5. Note this is a mandatory provision of ASHRAE 90.1-2004 and could affect compliance of EAp2, Minimum Energy Performance."

This building does not have any facade lighting, but certainly does have some site lighting on the project site. I am not sure if here, "exterior lighting" also include site lighting. If included, could anyone advise how to possibly simulate site lighting in eQuest? I noticed that under Wizard mode, we could input "connected exterior lighting load" in w/ft2 unit. I am not sure if there, it refers to facade area, building area or footprint. This item does not seem to have an item or topic help.

Thanks,
Rick, LEED AP