[Equest-users] Simultaneous Heating/Cooling

David Reddy davejreddy at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 14:12:16 PST 2009

If the chiller you are using is the "well-water-to-water HP" type
(CHILLER:HEAT-PUMP), I have successfully been able to  run a simulation with
this chiller connected to a CHW loop.  However, it was only connected to a
loop with a process chilled water load, and not connected to coils.

The loop-to-loop HP (CHILLER:LOOP-TO-LOOP-HP), which I believe Karen is
referring to, is intended to be attached to both a HW and CHW circulation
loops.  As I understand the DOE-2 help, there is an important difference
between these chillers in that the LOOP-TO-LOOP-HP chiller allows for
exchange of heat between the HW and CHW circulation loops, where as the
HEAT-PUMP chiller only moves heat to-and-from the CW loop (LAKE/WELL type).
You can connect multiple HEAT-PUMP or LOOP-TO-LOOP chillers to a single
LAKE/WELL loop and heat exchanger, so you could potentially have one chiller
supply your HW and one chiller supply CHW by adjusting the controls of the
2-PIPE loop.  Having them connected to the same CW loop, the total CW load
should be equal to the sum of the energy pulled out by the chiller in
heating, the energy put in by the chiller in cooling, and the loop pump heat
(plus loop thermal losses if simulated).  However, this is somewhat
irrelevant because no matter what the CW loop return temperature is, the
LAKE/WELL loop and heat exchanger will always provide the scheduled supply
temperature (or by default, the hourly ground temperature in the weather
file).

To get around this, we have developed an approach that takes the building
loads from the LAKE/WELL loop and applies them to a DOE-2 well-field model,
and in turn, takes the resulting well-field temperatures for use in the
building hourly simulation.  It requires post-processing and some iteration,
but I think this type of approach could be as good as we can do with the
existing tool.

Any other approaches out there?

David Reddy

Madison Engineering, PS