[Equest-users] Radiant Floor Cooling

Chris Wark cwark at rumseyengineers.com
Wed Feb 25 13:28:49 PST 2009

Since eQUEST doesn't model airflow or natural convection, you can model
radiant cooling with no ventilation by using a fan coil or VAV system
with no heating or economizer installed and set the fan efficiency at 0
kW/CFM.

We design a lot of radiant systems with separate ventilation (based on
DOE-2 and Title 24, one would think this was a physically impossible
concept) and I usually end up modeling it as an induction system with
100% outside air if I can get away with constant fan control, zones not
too different from each other, and no operable windows. Otherwise, I
have to use one of those nasty old VAV w/reheat systems and fudge the
efficiencies. The arbitrary restrictions in eQUEST can be rather
maddening.

Christopher Wark
Project Engineer
___________________________