[Equest-users] defining system type

James D. Waechter jdwaechter at bgce.com
Mon Mar 23 14:31:48 PDT 2009

I recently changed the thermostat schedule and design air flow (to 1 cfm/ft²) for a bunch of zones on a VAV air handler.  After saving this change and reloading the project, I get an error "TYPE       NOT FIRST KEYWORD" for each zone I changed.

I'd understand this if each zone had its own system, but all these zones are assigned to the same VAV AHU.  The system TYPE is defined at the top of the system definition as VAVS.  A portion of the .inp file showing the system definition and the first error-causing zone is included below.

Any idea what might be causing this error?  Any help is appreciated.

James D. Waechter, P.E., LEED A.P.

Beaudin Ganze Consulting Engineers, Inc.

 * Sustainability

 * LEED Consulting

 * M/E/P Design

 * Lighting & Technology Design

 * Commissioning

P   303.278.3820 x 5246

F   303.278.3843

Celebrating 10 Years of LEED CERTIFIED Design <http://www.bgce.com/>

P   Please consider the environment before printing

"E1 Sys1 (PVAVS) (B)" = SYSTEM

   TYPE             = VAVS

   HEAT-SOURCE      = HOT-WATER

   HEAT-SIZING-RATI = 1.25

   COOL-SIZING-RATI = 1.15

   COOL-RESET-SCH   = "AHU S.A. Temp Reset Schedule"

   COOL-CONTROL     = RESET

   ECONO-LIMIT-T    = 75

   SUPPLY-KW/FLOW   = 0.00062

   RETURN-KW/FLOW   = 0.00062

   FAN-EIR-FPLR     = "ForCurve w Dischrg Dampers FPLR"

   REHEAT-DELTA-T   = 50

   HW-VALVE-TYPE    = TWO-WAY

   HW-LOOP          = "Hot Water Loop"

   CHW-LOOP         = "Chilled Water Loop"

   ..

"E1 SE Perim ML Zn (ML.SE1)" = ZONE

   FLOW/AREA        = 1

   MIN-FLOW/AREA    = 0.4

   HEAT-TEMP-SCH    = "S1 Sys1 (PVAVS) Heat Sch"

   DESIGN-COOL-T    = 75

   COOL-TEMP-SCH    = "S1 Sys1 (PVAVS) Cool Sch"

   SPACE            = "E1 SE Perim ML Spc (ML.SE1)"

believed to be clean.