[Equest-users] ASHRAE 62.1 cfm/person

Glenn Haynes glenn.haynes at rlw.com
Tue Mar 31 10:03:14 PDT 2009

What I am about to say may be controversial, but I am a conservation program impact evaluator, an avid DOE2 user, and feel strongly about excessive OA ventilation requirements, especially in colder climates.  The ASHRAE minimum, when translated into air changes per hour (ACH) requires over 0.8 ACH for a 10x10 office with an 8 foot ceiling and one occupant.  On the other hand, the EPA claims that Energy Star homes must have an energy recovery ventilator because they often end up with natural infiltration rates under the threshold of safety, about 0.32 ACH.

If, as they believe, 0.32 or higher is safe enough for residential occupants, why, then, does the ASHRAE standard require almost three times that for office spaces?  This high requirement is, of course, safe enough, but it is costing commercial building operators in cold climates a fortune in heating costs, often accounting for 50% to 80% of the total heating energy consumption.  In hot climates it translates into excessive cooling energy use.  Is it time for some of us to question the ASHRAE standard, or is the EPA threshold (it isn't a law) safe enough?

With the current emphasis on LEEDS design are we overlooking a huge energy savings potential here?  We strive very hard to save as much energy as possible, but then we are required to impose a questionable ventilation standard that often overshadows all else.

I just want to hear some other professional thoughts on this.

Glenn C. Haynes, PE
Middletown, CT