[Equest-users] Energy and Daylighting Analysis Services RFQ

DiPenti, Michelle M. Michelle.DiPenti at hdrinc.com
Tue Oct 13 12:55:28 PDT 2009

HDR, Inc

Request for Qualifications: Energy and Daylighting Analysis Services

General Service Description

HDR Alexandria currently has a strong backlog of work with both private and public sector clients.  As such, we seek to execute a contract with a primary subconsultant on a non-exclusive basis for a one-year period with options for additional one-year terms.  The value of this contract is highly variable based on our clients' needs and project schedules.  The work will be intermittent at times and concentrated efforts required at other times.  HDR estimates that this contract could be worth up to $250,000 in fees annually with no guaranteed minimum.

HDR Architecture projects typically consist of a conceptual design study followed by schematic design, design development, construction documents, and construction administration.  The intent of this RFQ is to create a preferred relationship with a subconsultant to become an integrated project team member.  The subconsultant considered under this RFQ could be defined as a person or team of persons, a firm, or multiple firms.

We seek to increase our service provision.  We seek to further the principles of integrated architecture and sustainable design and increase our building science capacity.   Emphasis will be placed on subconsultants with processes that govern the proposal and evaluation of concept level strategies.  Additionally, those that utilize the energy budget principles of the 2030 Challenge and those that utilize simulation software will be highly favored.

The expectation of the Energy and Daylighting Analysis subconsultant will be to:

*Service multiple HDR Architecture offices with primary management from the design center located in Alexandria, Virginia

*Integrate with HDR project teams

*Provide an excellent level of continuing service with consistent staffing and personnel equivalent to that submitted in the Qualifications package

*Proficient with energy and daylight modeling and simulation software

*Proficient with air flow modeling

*Experience applying the principles of ASHRAE 90.1, ASHRAE 55, and ASHRAE 62.1

*Provide expertise in the exploration of progressive technologies such as: geothermal, ground source heat pumps, chilled beams, thermal ice storage, and passive ventilation.

We envision a formal daylighting deliverable during concept level design that includes a climate analysis, sun path, optimum building orientation, and proposed façade strategy.  Additionally, the subconsultant would work with the team to produce strategies for glazing optimization, shading, daylight penetration, glare control, contrast, light levels, daylighting controls, and electric lighting integration.

We envision full energy modeling and analysis deliverables.  Prior to the initial baseline development, we seek the subconsultant to research the Energy Star and Architecture 2030 Challenge energy budget for the specific project type.  We envision a concept design narrative or simulation with specific recommendations for a low-carbon design based on project type and climate.  For each design milestone, we seek an energy modeling simulation compared to the ASHRAE baseline accompanied with a narrative of recommendations for energy conserving measures that would lead toward a net-zero building solution.  Some projects may require research and deliverable outlining utility incentives.

In summary:

*Project Analysis

-Load Calculation and Energy Budget Development

-Energy Benchmarking

-Climate Analysis

*Conceptual Design

-Sun Path Diagramming and Orientation

-Formal daylighting deliverable integrated into the project documents

-Progressive technology studies to drive a low-carbon design

*Schematic Design

-Whole Building Energy Modeling and Simulation

-Creation of energy conserving measures

-Simulations of daylight penetration, shading, glare, and contrast strategies

*Design Development

-Energy Model update

-Specification and equipment selection support

-Lighting control design support

*Technical Support to other HDR Consultants

-Life Cycle Cost Modelers

-Sustainable Return on Investment Modeling

*Construction Document Energy Modeling

-Final Design Documentation will be necessary to prove compliance with both LEED and Section 109 of EPACT 2005

-Expression of Interest due to HDR:  October 20, 2009

-Qualifications due to HDR:  October 29, 2009

For the full RFQ, please email:

Michelle DiPenti

mdipenti at hdrinc.com

For more information about HDR, please visit:

www.hdrinc.com

www.hdrgreen.com