[Equest-users] Modeling Roofs

Lars Fetzek lfetzek at phoenixeng.us
Fri Oct 9 05:17:48 PDT 2009

Susan,

    Complex roof geometries can be defined with polygons, which is
especially helpful for visualization for verification of correctness (but
tedious).  However, if the polygons are terribly complex, you might consider
simple rectangular roofs having the correct area as measured rather easily,
say, from AutoCAD files of the building plans.  This should not adversely
affect roof heat transfer by pure conduction.  However, I do not know
whether it will adversely affect roof heat transfer due to light absorption.
This depends upon eQuest's internal algorithm, to which someone more
knowledgeable must speak.

Lars Fetzek, EI
Phoenix Engineering Group
Tampa, Florida