[Equest-users] Cooling hours unmet

Furey, Patrick patrick.furey at gec-group.com
Fri Sep 11 06:36:34 PDT 2009

I’m having a problem with unmet throttling hours, and I can’t find any
way to remedy it. I’d appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Building Description: A school with an air cooled chiller, boilers, 5
ahu’s with hot and cold coils, and hw reheat at the VAV boxes. The model
also has baseboards in a few spots and a run around energy recovery on
each AHU.

I am working on an energy model put together by someone who no longer
works here. When I run the simulation on his model, I get about 76% of
the hours outside of throttling range, all cooling. Following advice
I’ve found in the archives, I increase my throttling range from 2 to 6
degrees. That brings the hours out of throttling range down to 34%,
again all cooling. Night fan control is set to cycle on any. Increasing
the sizing factor from 1.25 only help very minimally (1-2 % points).
I’ve been messing around with the model, trying different strategies for
days and can’t get it in an acceptable range. I’ve attached the project
files if anyone could take a look at it.

My biggest problem is when the system is sized per the calculated loads,
how am I getting so many hours where the system is not meeting the
loads.

Anyway, thanks.

Pat Furey