[Equest-users] Unconditioned spaces

Lars Fetzek lfetzek at phoenixeng.us
Mon Sep 21 08:20:42 PDT 2009

eQuesters,

    Here's my latest fiasco:
    I have some conditioned and some unconditioned spaces.  The
unconditioned spaces contain loads from electric water heaters and lighting
and the water usage, itself.  All of these electric and water loads must, of
course, be modeled.
    However, these unconditioned spaces do not include HVAC systems.  The
unconditioned spaces simply exhaust air from the conditioned spaces to the
outside via exhaust fans.  I've been advised by previous listserve e-mails
to model the conditioned spaces as directly exhausting to the outside.
    The problems are these:

1.  How do I get eQuest to model the temperatures of the unconditioned
spaces without specifying HVAC systems (which don't exist)?  This is
important insofar as the unconditioned spaces can conduct heat to the
adjacent conditioned spaces via shared interior walls/floors/ceilings.

2.  In order to model the plumbing and lighting systems (for water and
electricity use), I have to assign them to spaces.  If I assign them to the
conditioned spaces, this will artificially inflate their affect on the
cooling loads of those conditioned spaces.  However, if I assign them to the
unconditioned spaces, then I have to assign those spaces to respective
thermal zones, which, in turn, require assignment to HVAC systems that don't
exist.  How can this be simply and correctly modeled?

    Thanks again.

Lars Fetzek, EI
Phoenix Engineering Group
Tampa, Florida