[Equest-users] outside air ratio

Otto Schwieterman oschwieterman at fhai.com
Fri Sep 11 11:05:52 PDT 2009

Be careful when entering the outside air CFM via a percentage of the
system because for LEED the outside air must be the same for the
baseline and the proposed model. If the baseline model requires more
supply air than the proposed model the outside airflows will be
different between the two models.

Otto

I have also noticed that you have to be careful about how you specify OA
for induction systems. If I enter zone-level OA cfm and also enter
system-level SUPPLY-FLOW, I end up with NO outside air even though the
MIN-OUTSIDE-AIR is set to 1.00. The problem goes away if I enter a
system MIN-AIR-SCH (whether or not I have the SUPPLY-FLOW entered) or if
I leave the SUPPLY-FLOW blank (default).

To get a better idea of what the OA is actually doing, I create an
Hourly Report Block and select the following options under the "HVAC
System" variable type:

"Ratio of outside air to total supply air"

"Total system supply air flow rate"

There are a ton of other variables available in the hourly reports that
you can use to troubleshoot your models.

Regards,

William Bishop, EIT, LEED(r) AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects LLP

Mechanical Engineer

134 South Fitzhugh Street
Rochester, NY 14608
T: (585) 325-6004 Ext. 114