[Equest-users] Zone Loads for Equip Sizing

Adam.Boyd at CH2M.com Adam.Boyd at CH2M.com
Mon Apr 12 11:32:21 PDT 2010

I'm working on a WSHP design that has fully ducted ceiling mounted heat pumps serving each zone. I'm having a hard time sorting out the zone loads. I want eQuest to give me the loads on each system for only internal and conductive loads. I don't want OSA or fan energy loads. I also want to get the loads separated into sensible and latent loads.

The problem I'm having is that each space has an associated unconditioned plenum (ducted return). If I use the LS-B report with space loads broken out by component, I can get both the latent and sensible cooling loads, but the space loads don't include heat gain from the hot plenum. I could just add the loads from the plenum to the space, but it looks like the LS-B report calculates the plenum load assuming it is conditioned to the design temperature entered at the space level, so the plenum loads are too high.

The other place I looked was the extraction rate in the SV-A report, but this is not broken out by sensible and latent. Is it correct to assume I can take the extraction rate from the SV-A report and subtract the latent load from the LS-B space load report and the result is the sensible total including heat gain through the ceiling from the plenum?

I'm hoping this is an easy question. I assume eQuest is used all the time for HVAC sizing, but I've been using HAP for a couple years and have just started using eQuest for sizing rather than just modeling. I appreciate any help on this.

Adam