[Equest-users] Calculating Baseline Fan Power

Bishop, Bill wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Tue Apr 6 14:10:24 PDT 2010

Scott,

The note for Table G3.1.2.9 states to use the design flow rate of the
baseline building system to calculate A. There is still the issue of
whether or not to apply the adjustment from Table 6.5.3.1.1B when the
baseline system serves a different area than the proposed system. I'm
still trying to decide that as well. I can think of at least two
alternatives:
1.)     Apply the pressure drop adjustment to any baseline system that
conditions at least half of the area of a proposed system that qualifies
for the adjustment,
2.)     Apply the pressure drop adjustment in a weighted manner based on
the proportional area conditioned by the baseline system relative to the
proposed system.

I think option 1.) would be quicker but option 2.) more closely reflects
the intent of the pressure drop adjustment.

On a related note, if anybody has figured out a way to use a VLOOKUP
function or equivalent in Excel for looking up motor efficiency in a
baseline Pfan calculation, let me know. (The function returns the
efficiency of the next smallest motor in the table when there is no
exact match, but G3.1.2.9 requires the efficiency of the next largest
motor to be used.)

Regards,
Bill

William Bishop, EIT, BEMP, LEED(r) AP | Pathfinder Engineers &
Architects LLP
Mechanical Engineer

134 South Fitzhugh Street
Rochester, NY 14608