[Equest-users] Shell stacking options

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Apr 9 09:03:35 PDT 2010

Apologies, correcting my word-choice below to prevent potential headaches for others, please disregard the identically named response prior to this one:

Food for thought - I really enjoy hearing how others would approach things...  My intuitive approach would also involve detailed work but perhaps less so (?), and without any *.inp work...

Alternate Option 3)  Combine shells 2 + 3 at the wizard level (and if reasonable/feasible, floors below as a 2 or 3 story shell), defining the roof construction that will be exposed in the wizards (as a custom construction if possible).  In detailed mode 2D or 3D view, scroll through the Shell 2+3 spaces, and simply right-click à Delete... any roof polygons surfaces occurring immediately below shell #1.  This will eliminate any gains/losses to those zones from Shell #1 above.

For any of these approaches, make sure for Shell #1 you select "Over Conditioned Space (adiabatic)" for the floor construction.

Running note - as a caution, there are reasons NOT to make 2/3 story shells in the wizards based on my recent experience.  Daylighting controls may turn out to be un-defineable (in the wizards) for middle/ground floors if that's a concern.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

25501 west valley parkway