[Equest-users] DAYSim and eQuest

Osser, Roselin ROsser at Vanderweil.com
Mon Apr 19 06:58:05 PDT 2010

Hi Taylor,

I would recommend looking into the free program SPOT (Sensor Placement
Optimization Tool) which can create eQuest lighting schedules based on
yearly daylight availability and dimming that occurs with optimized
sensor placement.  In order to get the Daysim .csv output into the
current version of eQuest, you'd have to parse the data into the correct
eQuest .inp format, and wouldn't have the benefit of results based on
sensor type and location.  The only issue with SPOT is that I believe
you have to have Excel 2004 (not 2007) for it to work.

Rosie

Roselin Osser, LEED AP

Green Integration Group

R.G. Vanderweil Engineers, LLP

T 617.956.4461 | F 617.423.7401

From: equest-users-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org
[mailto:equest-users-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org] On Behalf Of Taylor
Sharpe
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2010 10:31 PM
To: equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Subject: Re: [Equest-users] DAYSim and eQuest

Otto,

I am able to complete a project in DAYSim, getting output information in
.csv format, as well as the basic .html output for daylight factor, UDI
etc. How am I able to integrate DAYSim data into eQuest?

You mentioned populating a schedule with the data...I'm not sure how to
go about doing this.

Regards,

-Taylor Sharpe

Otto Schwietermanoschwieterman at fhai.com
<mailto:equest-users%40lists.onebuilding.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BEquest-u
sers%5D%20How%20does%20eQuest%20know%0A%09initialFootcandlesforDaylighti
ng%20Calc%3F&In-Reply-To=%3C81CD81BB0AC1FF41B8F014BA7512A740041DD08B%400
0mail.ad.fhai.org%3E>
Fri Jan 8 06:23:43 PST 2010

Here is an alternate method to eQUEST's daylighting strategies:

>From my experience (and training from Marlin Addison), I believe that
eQUEST does not model daylighting with much accuracy. I believe that the
best method to handle daylighting is to run models on independent
software (DAYSIM is free) and insert the results into lighting
schedules. My general practice with lighting schedules is to force 100%
of the lights to be on when the room is occupied and during the
sameoccupied times, create a new schedule that shows the fraction of
lights on from the DAYSIM output.

This method gives the modeler more control and flexibility with the
model and daylighting strategies. Many times we have 3 rows of lights in
a classroom and we typically force the row furthest from the window
always on when occupied so the minimum percentage of lights on during
daylighting is 33% (1/3).