[Equest-users] LEED demand numbers

Dakota Kelley dakotak at teliospc.com
Wed Apr 21 09:02:03 PDT 2010

Austin,

The LEED template is requesting demand by end-use, so non-coincident is what you should be reporting; it is each particular end-use’s peak demand.  If there is exterior lighting consumption, there should be a corresponding non-zero peak demand regardless of what time the peak occurs.  I’m not sure what report is showing zero exterior lighting demand, but it’s possibly due to a very low peak and eQUEST is simply rounding down.  Or, as Otto stated, you might be looking at peak demand for a daytime hour.  Regardless, the LEED template should not show annual consumption with zero peak demand for any end-use.  It might only be 0.1 kW, but there must be demand for there to be consumption.

The LEED reviewers are using peak demand as a sanity check for the connected power listed elsewhere in the template (i.e. Table 1.4 in v2.2).  For example, if total connected fan power on a VAV system is reported as 100 kW but the ventilation fan end-use shows a peak demand of only 25 kW, then it is obvious something is wrong.  The implication is that the fans are grossly over-sized and don’t operate above ~25% capacity.  Likewise, if peak demand for the same fans is reported as 120 kW, then we apparently have magic fans that peak 20% beyond their physical limits.  So, just make sure demand is roughly in agreement with the peak connected power listed for a given end-use.

Thanks,

                         DAKOTA KELLEY

                                Project Designer

                                Office:      214-744-6199

                                Cell:         214-280-3825

                                Fax:         214-744-0770

http://www.teliospc.com <http://www.teliospc.com/>           3535 Travis St. Suite 115

dakotak at teliospc.com <mailto:dakotak at teliospc.com>              Dallas, TX 75204

| MEP ENGINEERING · ENERGY MODELING · LEED CONSULTATION · COMMISSIONING |

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed,

And may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you

are not the intended recipient, please email the sender immediately, and delete this email from all computers.  Any

distribution or other use is strictly prohibited.  Copyright © 2010 Telios Corporation.