[Equest-users] Creating a Baseline Model

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Thu Apr 29 10:14:26 PDT 2010

To add to the discussion on a stepped back and more general level - the
phrase "baseline model" doesn't mean anything specifically by itself.
The decision of whether you're supposed to use 90.1 to your define your
baseline (or some other baseline standard criteria, or the existing
building, and/or your own sole judgement) is determined by the nature of
the project and why you're performing energy modeling in the first
place.

Pre-made baselines, in the context of 90.1, do not exist as they're
unique to every proposed design.  If you're looking for a predetermined
baseline performance based on energy consumption, you might consider
using a tool like Energy Star or similar resources that offer "average"
EUI figures for various building types/sizes/locations.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

25501 west valley parkway