[Equest-users] Geothermal Well Field Modeling

Anthony Hardman Anthony at geoenergyservices.com
Thu Apr 29 12:56:53 PDT 2010

Dan, not sure if you got all your questions answered?

I typically see about a 20% smaller GHEX with eQUEST when compared to GLD.
I also believe it is the most accurate tool between the two for a couple of
reasons.

1)      eQ models the heat transfer on an hourly basis.  GLD does not.  If
you look at the Zone Manager, GLD takes the monthly peak and cumulative
loads and arbitrarily assigns those loads into one 12 hour block and three 4
hour blocks, and then uses that profile for the entire month.

2)      After talking to Gaia "support," I'm not correct that their
equipment libraries interface correctly with GHEX sizing algorithms (and
that's probably more than I should say about that).

Some other thoughts:

-          4 subfields will always have more capacity than a single field of
equivalent bore length.  So that accounts for some of your error, maybe 10%.

-          You can select "real" manufacturer performance data within the
eQuest wizard by clicking the "Select from GSHP Library" command(see
screenshot).  Since ClimateMaster developed the add-on, you're limited to
their equipment choices of course.  I never use the default performance
curves, I simply choose the closest CM unit.

-          Although the totals are the same, I use report SS-D (not SS-l)
for these comparisons.

-          Make sure you're setting your "Years of Previous Operation" to 20
so that you account for long term temperature creep.  Just because the GHEX
works in year 1 doesn't mean it'll work in year 20.

Anthony Hardman

Building Energy Analyst

LEED AP

Geo-Energy Services