[Equest-users] SS-E or SS-R for Unmet Hours?

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Aug 2 14:50:54 PDT 2010

Jennifer,

To find your total unmet hours, per your original question, use SS-E in
conjunction with the "unmet hours" percentage in the BEMP report.  A
discussion from the not-so-far past is copied below (scroll to the
bottom) wherein eQuest developer Scott Criswell laid down the law.

SS-R, F and O are collectively very useful for tracking down exactly
when and where your unmet hours are occurring, to help track down what
might be awry to resolve them, if you should desire/need to, as the
"important note" explains.  I expect this is why Pasha is bringing SS-F
to your attention.

SS-E however is what you're working with to determine LEED unmet hours,
however.  Plenty of further discussion as to why in the archives (search
for 'coincidental unmet hours').  Currently there's no perfectly clean
way to distinguish coincidental unmet heating vs. cooling hours, unless
you get lucky and have zero of either.  I understand an approach when
you have both is to take your total and proportion it out based on SS-R
sums...

On a related note, an easier-to-digest view of both where the unmet
hours are occurring (identifying the zone) and the unmet cooling/heating
totals for each zone is available by clicking "Air Side HVAC" then
"Summary" tabs after a calculation.  Highlight any one system in the
tree to the left or click the top of the tree to see them all with sums
at the bottom.  Unmet heating/cooling hours are summed for each zone -
this happens to be a fast way to identify where a cryptically-named zone
with unmet hours exists in your model, as well.

Best of luck!

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER