[Equest-users] GSHP in DDE Mode - as an EEM

Carol Gardner cmg750 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 06:59:47 PDT 2010

Taylor,

You can see much more information in the output file marked .BDL. Open it up
in Word and scroll down to the systems area and you will see what data eQ is
pulling from libraries, etc.

WRT the fact that you don't know how to assign systems to zones, you need to
read a tutorial or two or to take a training or two. That's pretty basic and
I'm going to let you have the satisfaction of finding the answer yourself as
experience is the best teacher. The work flow of an eQ project usually
starts by using either the Schematic or Detailed Design Wizard and when you
used them to their maximum capacity go into the Detailed Data Edit mode to
finish. You can always do more in the DD edit Mode. You cannot go backward
from DD edit Mode into the Wizard without losing all the changes you made in
the DD edit Mode.

After you study up awhile feel free to ask specific questions. I always
recommend a peer review, which you will have to pay someone to do,
especially if you are new to the field. There are many ways to slip up in eQ
and not even know it.

Best,

Carol

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Taylor Sharpe <newspectrum at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We have the goal of simulating a ground source heat exchanger as an EEM.
>  eQuest's GSHP system looks useful and well-constructed, but we've just
> finished the grueling calibration process and find ourselves unable to
> create and apply the system in DDE mode.
>
> We can create the individual components, but we're running into two
> problems: the first is the issue of creating capacity curves, or finding
> eQuest's default ones (which would be ideal).  The curves don't seem to be
> accessible through the DDE mode, as if eQuest generates them only if it's
> been told to through the wizard.
>
> I created a dummy model and reverted to the wizard, so that I could
> cross-compare inputs, but many of the values, curves etc. that the wizard
> generated can't be selected or created when I try to work through the
> process manually.
>
> I know that the first two steps are to create a circulation loop and a
> ground loop heat exchanger, but I'm at a loss as to what comes next, and how
> to assign the system to zones once I've completed it.  Can it really be that
> the only way to accurately simulate the technology is to go through the
> wizard mode?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> -Taylor Sharpe
> Energy Modeler-in-Training