[Equest-users] Roof Reflectiveness / Absorbency for cool roof

Bishop, Bill wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Mon Dec 6 11:10:13 PST 2010

Rob,

When I model cool roofs using ASHRAE Standard 90.1 Appendix G, I change
the absorptance of the roof construction to 0.55, per the
reflectance=0.45 allowance in Table G3.1. Energy savings may be modest,
or even negative, depending on several factors, including climate, roof
U-value, and electric-vs.-gas/heating energy rates. There are good
discussions in the archives regarding the nuances of cool/white roofs.

Regards,
Bill

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, LEED(r) AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects
LLP
Mechanical Engineer

 134 South Fitzhugh Street                 Rochester, NY 14608
T: (585) 325-6004 Ext. 114            F: (585) 325-6005
wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com           www.pathfinder-ea.com
<http://www.pathfinder-ea.com/>
P   Sustainability - the forest AND the trees. P