[Equest-users] Commercial Building Tax Deduction

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Dec 22 16:27:16 PST 2010

Fast thoughts:

Important nuance alert:  The good news is, a 50% reduction in current
energy use might actually be realistic since you have an uninsulated
roof to start...  However you need to demonstrate a 50% reduction in
energy use with respect to a 90.1-2001 baseline, and that would hinge on
whether your existing HVAC/lighting/walls/floors/windows are
significantly efficient or not.  It's possible.

Whether a $1.80*2,750 = $4,950 (at most) tax deduction (not credit) is
worth the time involved is perhaps a more pertinent question to explore
first...

The 16.67% reduction target, which would require to hold everything else
constant (lighting/HVAC) and isolate the envelope differences seems less
likely to me... I've only once explored various roof U-values for a
small footprint like that, and the impact was negligible.

Disclaimer:  99% of my knowledge/experience with the CBTD is using the
lighting-only approach. My hunches here are based more on my general
modeling experience - but  also primarily in climate zone 4 ;).

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers