[Equest-users] Direct Evaporative System

Carol Gardner cmg750 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 08:24:40 PST 2010

Hi James,

I have not modeled a building exactly like yours but it sounds like you've
done the model correctly. You did not say how many unmet cooling load hours
you have but you can have up to 300 hours as long as the baseline and
proposed models don't vary by more than 50 hours total (G.3.1.2.2).

Be sure to check your inputs related to loads, e.g. people, equipment, and
lighting are correct and that the operating schedules match those that your
building will have.

Good Luck!

Carol

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:21 AM, James Newman
<James.Newman at me-engineers.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I’m trying to model a building that is using a direct evaporative system
> for cooling and the heating is from a central steam system. The issue that
> I’m facing is that the direct evaporative cooling isn’t able to satisfy all
> the cooling load hours so I have supplemented the cooling with a DX system
> that has an Appnedix G (EER) rating. I’m not sure if this is the right way
> to handle this or if I should just have unmet cooling load hours, but I feel
> as though the USGBC will come back and want the cooling hours to be
> satisfied for both the design and baseline building.  I was curious if
> anyone has had a building like this that they have submitted for LEED and
> what they did or how the USGBC commented and would like the model to be
> designed.
>

> Thanks,
>

> *James M. Newman, EIT, LEED AP*
>
> Project Engineer / Energy Analyst