[Equest-users] ASHRAE Baseline Wall/Window/Roof Constructions

Skelton, Paul pskelton at IDS-TROY.COM
Wed Feb 3 12:41:15 PST 2010

Fellow eQuest users,

I am brand new to equest and I am attempting to model a baseline ASHRAE
building per the 2004 90.1 standard and am curious if there is any
specific wall, roof or window constructions that other users are
entering as their baseline constructions.  I have noticed several
things:

1.  Simply entering a resistance (such as an R-value of 11.9) I get a
"WALL has no heat capacity. U-VALUE used" error (see attached)

2.  Defining a layer-by-layer construction does not allow any
improvement through EEMs.  In other words the options to increase the
amount of insulation are grayed out.

3.  It is impossible to determine the actual total U-value of one of the
"cookie-cutter" constructions provided by eQuest.

As a side note, I'd be curious to know what computer specs others have
to run eQuest, as I have developed a model with over 3,000 components
and it takes about 6 minutes just to open the file on a computer with
the following specifications:

*         Intel Pentium D 2.99 GHz

*         1 GB RAM

*         ATI Radeon X600 - Video card

*         29 GB HDD

The specs on this computer are terrible in my eyes, and it really shows
when I try to run eQuest but I'd like to see what other PCs run this
program effectively.

Thanks,

Paul Skelton

Integrated Design Solutions
Architecture, Engineering, Interiors & Technology
888 West Big Beaver, Suite 200
Troy, Michigan 48084
tel:   248.823.2171
fax: 248.823.2200
www.ids-troy.com <http://www.ids-troy.com/>

Celebrating 10 Years.  Expect the Exceptional.