[Equest-users] Hvac systems

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue Feb 16 09:13:59 PST 2010

Hi Jason,

Fundamental issue with eQuest:  You are limited to one system per zone.
This requires some creative thinking to model such cases with large
conditioning makeup units as you're describing.  Same issue pops up with
dedicated outside air systems (DOAS).

While I haven't modeled your explicit situation, I am pretty sure the
route I would take in your shoes would involve creating a "dummy zone"
(no internal/external loads) with OA requirements in quantity to match
the real zone, condition it's OA to 72 with a dedicated system - to
match your conditioning makeup air system, and then specify the separate
RTU over the "real" zone to take 100% of its OA from the dummy zone's
system.  You may be able to get by without specifying the quantities of
ventilation air (letting eQuest auto-size the dummy system), but I have
had the desire to use DCV controls throw a wrench into such plans before
- it might be a good idea before getting started to be sure you have a
clear understanding of exactly how the OA required is expected to be
controlled.

You can find much more detail and discussion regarding such "dummy
zones" by searching for that term (perhaps also "DOAS") in the mailing
list archives.  Feel free to post any new questions you're having
troubles with of course ;).

Best of luck!
~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.