[Equest-users] Changing HVAC systems using Parameters

Tomlinson, Scott stomlinson at smma.com
Fri Jan 8 06:29:30 PST 2010

Hi all,

I am reasonably new to eQuest, and one issue I am having fits with is changing systems the HVAC systems of a building using parametric runs.  The building I am working on is a school with an air cooled chiller, in the design case, that requires a chiller/cooling tower combination for the base case.  We also need to provide 1 system per zone for the code case.  As far as I can tell, the process is:

To create the Base building
1)            Create all HVAC systems and equipment that will be used in both the base building and design building in Detailed Entry Mode.
2)            Assign the zones to the proper Base building systems in Detailed Entry Mode.  Assign a dummy zone to the systems that were created for Design building use.

To create a Design Building Parametric run
3)            In Parametric Runs reassign the zones to their proper systems to simulate the Design building.
4)            In Parametric Runs reassign the dummy zone to the systems that were created for the Base building.

Can anyone please tell me if this is the correct process?

Also, how should the dummy zone be created?  I have been using a small plenum zone as the dummy zone.

Thank you for your help.

Scott Tomlinson, PE, LEED-AP

Mechanical

Symmes Maini & McKee Associates, Inc.

1000 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138

t: 617.520.9438

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CA9043.CB015070]

f: 617.354.5758

stomlinson at smma.com<mailto:STomlinson at smma.com>