[Equest-users] Zoning for a Mid Rise Multifamily Building

Supriya Goel supriyagoel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 22:58:12 PST 2010

Hello,

I am trying to model a multifamily mid rise building with duplex apartments.
The building isn't centrally air conditioned with each individual apartment
having a split system air cooled heat pump.

The problem I am facing is that the apartments are duplex, with one system
per unit. In this case how should I define the zones?Since the same system
serves both the floors of the duplex,  should I model a separate building
shell of 2 floors as 1 floor? If I do this the intermediate floor slab is
not considered, will this result in inaccurate results?
The floor plans of both levels of the apartment are also different, because
of which I can't create a building shell with 2 floors for the duplex
apartment.

Thank You for you're help.

Regards
Supriya

--
Graduate Student, MSBE
School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture