[Equest-users] Baseboard loop loads, control

Bishop, Bill wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Thu Jan 28 13:10:36 PST 2010

I'm modeling a system alternative by comparing two models with identical
building geometry and envelope. One is induction unit and the other is
ground source heat pump. I have manually entered baseboard capacity for
each zone and kept them identical between the models. My peak loop load
is the same but my GSHP model has about 25% higher annual load/energy. I
have checked several things - envelope, misc loads, lighting, people. I
still can't explain why the GSHP model would have higher baseboard
energy.

One thing I finally figured out how to do is model baseboards with O/A
Reset control. (I have always used thermostatic.) The trick was just to
create a RESET-RATIO schedule and enter it at the system level.

Any ideas on why I would have higher baseboard energy in the GSHP model
vs. the induction unit?

Thanks,
Bill

William Bishop, EIT, LEED(r) AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects LLP
Mechanical Engineer

134 South Fitzhugh Street
Rochester, NY 14608
T: (585) 325-6004 Ext. 114