[Equest-users] Oversizing/Undersizing Equipment

Pasha Korber-Gonzalez pasha.pkconsulting at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 12:46:54 PDT 2010

Michael,

It depends.   which is always the answer with whole building simulation
questions.  From my experiences very rarely; (i repeat) very rarely do I
experience unmet loads due to under-sizing of equipment.  It has only
happened to me if I am the one trying to size equipment (where I am not a
designer-I am the energy modeler.)   My point being; typically my unmet
loads issues are stirred up by some input or control toggle that I did, or
didn't do within my model inputs.  Sometimes if I encounter under-heating
hours it is due to my zoning pattern and the skin losses (in heating
dominated climates) are significant that my perimeter depth zoning isn't as
accurate as it could be.

Where the daily goal of us simulators is to create models that don't
have unmet load hours, or as very little as possible it is entertaining that
you are trying to work backwords abit.  lol.   But I recognize the
analytical trait and good-job for seeking an answer.   I can only give you
what my experiences have been, and there is so much to learn and understand
about the unmet-hours phenomena keep looking for more answers and
explanations.

In terms of your project, you might not be experiencing unmet load hours
because of how you have specified your inputs in your model (regardless if
they are linked to sizing-ratios).   What is the climate of your project?
What is the building occupancy type? What type of extreme loads are you
seeing on your building directly or indirectly?  Did you input your
equipment capacities or are you auto-sizing?, Etc., etc.   It depends.  tell
us more about your project.

Pasha