[Equest-users] Help - Manipulating dedicated gas consumptions in eQUEST

Bishop, Bill wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Wed Jun 23 13:43:13 PDT 2010

Vaughn,

Rumor has it that eQUEST v4.0 will have an "Autotweek" tool. You tell
the program what the output should be, and the inputs are automatically
adjusted accordingly. :-)

Kidding aside, why do you need eQUEST to tell you what you already
"know" from your spreadsheet? Matching the total BTUs does not mean much
if the individual values for space heating, DHW and process loads are
all way off.

You can adjust the DHW by adjusting the Process Flow (gpm) for the DHW
loop or by adjusting the process load schedule.
You can adjust the Input Power (Btu/h) and schedules for any gas loads
that you enter as Internal Energy Sources in your spaces.
If gas loads are entered as Direct - Interior or Direct - Exterior loads
on your fuel meter, then change the load (MBtu/h) or schedule in the
Utility & Economics module for the meter.
Space heating gas consumption is not so direct. There are many things
that affect this, including thermostat schedules, boiler efficiency,
building envelope, miscellaneous loads, lighting power, occupancy,
outside air, economizer operation, and nighttime fan operation, just to
get you started. Many of these also affect your electrical consumption.
Hopefully that's not on your spreadsheet too.

Long story short - model calibration is not so simple. Start crunching!

Regards,
Bill

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, LEED(r) AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects
LLP
Mechanical Engineer

134 South Fitzhugh Street
Rochester, NY 14608