[Equest-users] Pan in 3-D geometry (Windows XP)

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Jun 25 13:09:46 PDT 2010

There is no pan function I'm afraid.  If you are familiar with the
perils of video card driver settings, read on.

If you are getting a corner clipped off of a wide/tall building that you
need a screen shot of, the only solution I'm aware of is to temporarily
change your display resolution to a wonky aspect ratio or a resolution
that's higher than the native panel's capabilities.  If you use ATI,
check the driver controls to enable "panning resolutions."  Not sure
what the equivalent term would be for others (nVidia and so on).

Your mileage may vary, and you may well be limited based on the hardware
you have at hand.  This may or may not work depending on your GPU
drivers' and your display's capabilities.  If you can pull it off, take
a screengrab and swap back to a normal resolution.

IMPORTANT: I'm being non-specific for a reason!  If anything I'm writing
above sounds foreign to you, just don't go there.  I'd hate to have
someone cause damage to their monitor or lock themselves into an
dysfunctional display resolution for lack of understanding with what
they're tinkering with.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER