[Equest-users] GSHP Loops

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Jun 28 11:40:56 PDT 2010

Regarding the pumps - it may seem a little unintuitive, but look to define the circulation pumps on the loops themselves, not on the GLHX element.  Also, Larry's posed situation is a little simpler when you consider that "standby" pumps for redundancy don't need to be modeled.  Only define the equipment that is running at any given time.

If you have multiple loops operating staged in parallel, look to define the # of pumps after doubleclicking the pump in question in detailed mode (in the component tree).  Right click those fields and check those help files for more info ;).

As may be apparent, you're not going to get a lot done in the way of defining an actual system until you're in detailed mode by the way - just a heads up in case anyone hasn't realized that yet.

The GSHP curves referenced below are great if you're designing around the corresponding Carrier equipment...  Some take the approach of finding the curve corresponding to the equipment that's the closest match, others are comfy with drilling their manufacturer reps and determining the exact info required to create custom performance curves...  I'm aspiring to be the latter category myself =).  One thing everyone seems to agree on is that the library curves (that came with eQuest) for a heatpump chiller aren't appropriate for modeling GSHP's.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

25501 west valley parkway