[Equest-users] Airflow

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue Jun 29 09:24:36 PDT 2010

Hi Katie,

I'm no expert, but unless otherwise noted,  I assume CFM's in eQuest are
not entered at 50 pascals, but are simply airflow rates without a
reference pressure.

There are a few methods (5) to calculate hourly infiltration at the
space level, and each uses different inputs to determine the hourly
infiltration rate.  I am used to using the Air Change method, which
expects ACH inputs to be given at a 10mph windspeed (~13Pa).  eQuest
then varies this figure hourly considering the hourly temperature
differential and exterior wind speed (and I *think* surface height and
orientation)...  There's much, much more to read if you'll right-click
the infiltration method field for any space in detailed mode, so I'd
suggest perusing there if you haven't yet.

I'm browsing lightly through ASHRAE Fundamentals Ch. 27 (2005), there's
a lot here regarding infiltration model means/methods, but too much for
me to digest in a short period... so you might want to read further
there also.

Ultimately, if the goal is to take some CFM50 readings and get them into
your model, you may either find or make up some kind of conversion
factor that will account for the lowering effective leakage area from 50
down to 13 pascals

(or some other reference pressure corresponding to another of the calc
methods that you like)...

I'll be curious to hear your findings - please do share!

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

25501 west valley parkway