[Equest-users] Use of shells for non-repeating floor shapes

Richard Williams Richard.Williams at arup.com
Wed Mar 24 08:35:09 PDT 2010

Dear all

I am trying to understand how best to minimise use of shells. I am
trying to model a building which has jagged shaped floors which overlap
and cantilever all over the place. The attached sketch is a simplified
section of the building showing how the floors change up the building.
I've reached the conclusion that, although it is undesirable to have
many shells, I will need a shell for each floor. Additionally, for
floors broken into several separate blocks (eg level 1 on the attached)
I will need a shell for each block. Please let me know if I am missing
something?!

Regards

Richard