[Equest-users] ASHRAE baseline building rotation

Kimberly Killian Kimberly at NorthernArchitects.com
Wed Mar 31 06:38:15 PDT 2010

I was recently told by USGBC reviewer to use SHGC all value for all orientations, all rotations (in other words, ignore north values).

Kimberly Killian
Northern Architects, Inc.
207 King Street Suite 3
Burlington VT 05401
T: 802-658-1953
F: 802-658-2975

Original message
From: "Andrew Mackay"
To: equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Subject: [Equest-users] ASHRAE baseline building rotation

ASHRAE Appendix G states that the baseline building glazing should conform with the 90.1 minimum standards. This is differentiated between north and other orientations.
Therefore my baseline building has low-performance glass on north facade and higher-performance glass on other facades.
My question is when rotating the baseline building during performance rating method, should the glazing be re-assigned? Ie) should each rotation meet 90.1 standards or only when the building is in its original orientation.
I’m sorry this isn’t a strictly an equest question (equestion?) but I’m sure lots of you have encountered the same problem.
Cheers
--
Andrew MacKay