[Equest-users] Pool Dehumidification Unit - heat recovery

Heath Baxa Heath.Baxa at me-engineers.com
Thu May 13 12:03:31 PDT 2010

I'm modeling a packaged DX pool dehumidification unit with a pool water condenser.  Project is a recreational natatorium in Dallas.

During dehumidification, hot gas is directed:
1st to space heating loads via unit mounted reheat coil
2nd to pool heating via unit mounted pool water condenser
3rd external condenser

Since this is a LEED project we have to meet ASHRAE 90.1-2007 Mandatory Provisions.  Section 7.4.5.2 requires a pool cover.  The following exception could apply:
 "Pools that receive over 60% of their energy (computed over an annual operating season) from either heat recovery or site-solar energy do not need covers.  Heat recovered from a pool dehumidification system can be used to meet this requirement."

I'm finding that the dehumidification unit reduces the pool heating energy use by approximately 14% annually.  Has anyone done a similar calculation to document compliance with this exception?  Right now I'd just like a rough engineering check.

Heath Baxa, P.E., LEED AP