[Equest-users] Water-side Economizers NOT on Airside System?

Cassie Waddell Cassie.Waddell at arup.com
Thu May 13 13:46:46 PDT 2010

We are designing an integrated water-side plant to serve cold water
directly to IT racks (No air). We're projecting that at 65F water
temperature, we should get more than 65% compressor-free cooling.

The current modeling approach it to build a dedicated cooling system
(chiller, cooling tower, associated loops) with a direct load placed on
the loop. We are having difficulty in determining whether or not we can
model a water-side economizer using this approach because the water-side
economizer is specified within the air system (which we have none). The
issue in eQuest is how to introduce water-side economizer in a secondary
loop that only serves process loads and no zones? Is the correct way to
build a dummy zone and system and zero-out the fan power?

Any ideas?

Cassie Waddell

Mechanical Engineer, LEED(r) AP

Arup