[Equest-users] General Questions:

Eurek, John S NWO John.S.Eurek at usace.army.mil
Thu May 20 10:48:36 PDT 2010

General questions:

1.  I went room by room and input actual equipment.  Example: I have 1
computer per person in a workstation.  155 Watts/computer from ASHRAE.
(Includes CPU and monitor)

1-A.  Is this a constant 155Watts.  Would the load be constant for printers,
projectors, refrigerators, dishwashers, microwave ovens, server rooms,
elevators?
2-B.  I was given the server heat or rejection.  Does the server really put
out that much at night also?
3-C.  I use ASHRAE recommended values, but I assume these are for loads, not
hour-by-hour year round modeling.  Are there other guides?

2.  I currently have my infiltration set to 0.3 ACH for my exterior rooms.

2-A.	Are there accepted or standard values?
2-B.	Should I use ACH or cfm/sq ft of wall
2-C.  Does the baseline and purposed need to be the same?
2-D.  Is there a set standard for the baseline?

3.  Thermostat.
(Positive note!! Instead of thinking of changing "night-time set back" values
as gaming, I should look at it as finding the best way to operate the system.
I think I am starting to understand!!  If setting the thermostat back 10
degrees saves energy, I should do it! And the model shows me what to do!)

3-A.  Besides the owner's request are there any rules for thermostats?
3-B.  Some have modeled heating only spaces as having a cooling system but
set the thermostat set point very high so it would not turn on.  Is this an
acceptable method?		(Example- I have a mechanical room which is
cooled by an exhaust fan when the temp is above 80 degrees, I modeled the
unit to turn on when the temp reached 95 degrees.  The result it the cooling
never turns on, since the exhaust fan offers enough cooling.)

4.  Odd rooms.  It is easy to model office spaces, but I have found
electrical rooms, mechanical rooms, elevator equipment rooms, vestibules,
stairwells, and server rooms to be lacking on guidance.

4-A.  Is there any resources besides general judgment?

5.  Minimal model.  There is a lot of information which can be input.
Besides general gut feeling, how percise should the model be?

5-1.  If I leave all the thermostat "by zone", and don't actually model the
thermostat in the room is this okay?
5-2.  In an office, how do I schedule the meeting rooms?  Do I show that the
population in the general office drops when everyone goes to the meeting?