[Equest-users] Voodoo Engineering (Ethics)

Carol Gardner cmg750 at gmail.com
Thu May 20 11:50:52 PDT 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Nick Caton <ncaton at smithboucher.com>wrote:

>  Darn it!  I've got work to be doing today but I'm a real sucker for
> ethical discussions...

*Me too.*

> To get one thing out of the way first, call me a blind optimist, but I
> reckon any EAc1 reviewer that subscribes to onebuilding.org lists is
> probably a cut above their peers and will professionally avoid bringing any
> unrelated postings into their current reviews.  I sincerely hope everyone
> agrees: these mailing-lists are an environment where we can freely ask
> questions and demonstrate what we do and don't know.  If students were
> punished in a classroom for raising their hands, there wouldn't be much
> learning going on.

*Doing anything out of fear should always be avoided. It's called being in
survival by some. For instance, some people can sit in a room by themselves
and cause whole groups of people to do what they say. They do this by
"controlling the purse strings". When we don't talk about something life
that it's like we are colluding with it. That's unethical.* Ignorance is
never bliss, is it?

> It's weird to me however - when I was in school learning about engineering
> ethics, it never dawned on me that energy modeling would frame the context
> for the vast majority of my ethical decision making, and that it would occur
> on a daily basis!  I'm sure most of us strive to do right by the system,
> within the constraints of our own ability and time... but I'm also sure it
> is quite impossible to perform any LEED EAc1 analysis without being forced
> to make subjective decisions regarding 90.1/LEED intent and where to draw
> the line on "sufficiently accurate" for a myriad of things.

*I agree 100%*

> *So here's it is… my current take on LEED modeling & ethics* (this has
> certainly evolved over time):
>

> 1. Energy modeling for LEED is a game, USGBC reviewers are the Refs, and
> the rest of us modelers are the Players who are charged with playing by the
> rules of the game.  Some of the Players are driven (personally or by
> pressure) to earn as many points as possible, and others are not.  Exactly
> where you sit on that spectrum is an entirely personal and non-ethical
> decision, it is *NOT *your employer’s decision to make.  It *IS* an
> ethical dilemma anytime you knowingly break/bend the rules - whether a Ref
> catches you or not.  It's *NOT* an ethical issue if/when you should seek
> to understand the nuances/intent of the rules better than others and win the
> game by scoring more points.  Like any game:  Players with more experience
> and understanding of the rules will naturally have a higher potential to
> score legitimate points than players lacking either.

*Nick and I agree.*

> 2. Players earning fewer points and the Refs who miss fouls (or must
> justify their positions) will inevitably and understandably complain about
> Players "gaming the system."

*I agree. I always, purposefully err on the conservative side. My last
client actually questioned me about it: why was I showing xx % savings. Why
didn't I get 1.5 X xx%*

> 3. "Gaming the system" is a term (thrown around a bit loosely here, imho)
> that implies bending/breaking the rules (unethical behavior), but it's easy
> to confuse with trying to understand and act on the finer points of the
> rules.  I personally prefer to see phrases like "Working within the system"
> used when that's what is meant.  Why is this so important that I made it a
> separate bullet?  *I and others will rightfully take offense* when anyone
> charges a fellow player of unethical behavior without proper grounds, so
> please take care with that phrase.  As an aspiring Professional, I think I
> speak for a large group by saying we take our ethical foundations very
> seriously – they are inseparable and pertinent to the practice of energy
> modeling.

*Nick and I agree 100%*

> On a lighter note, I'll extend my analogy to tie back to the first point:
> It would ALSO be an ethical dilemma if a Ref (USGBC reviewer) were to dig
> into a Player's past history (these mailing list archives), and decide to
> exact "punishment" for past behavior outside of the project at-hand.  John
> below is obviously interested in turning over a new leaf, and he is NOT
> alone.  Many of us (myself included) face a daily struggle to maintain a
> personal ethical balance in our work.  The realities of deadlines,
> client/boss demands, inadequate teamwork/communication on the design side,
> the need to prioritize sleep/family time, and holistically the complexity of
> the entire process can all work AGAINST those subjective ethical decisions
> we have to make individually every time we pick up a project.

*I agree, once again, with Nick. And, I am continually surprised by what
people say and do. I have heard the darnedest things*. The good news is, I
believe, that most LEED reviewers are also energy modeling practitioners.
I'm not sure that any of them aren't. If there are some LEED should not
contract with them.

> Then again... maybe some just don't think about this stuff too much?

*You and I and others continue to try to be the unpaid teachers, Nick. I
swear I am not going to teach anyone anything else for at least and hour.
HA!*

> ~Nick

*PS write when you find work.......

Mom*