[Equest-users] [Bldg-sim] Process Equipment Power Consumption

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed May 5 12:19:28 PDT 2010

Carol et al,

Here's my current understanding of the options we have (specifically in
eQuest) to specify equipment loads (from my head - correct me if I'm
off):

-          You may enter one (optionally, up to 5) distinct W/SF or kW
value for a zone to represent the full equipment load(s).  You may
optionally apply a diversity to the full load at this step here, but if
doing so you should modify your operation schedules as follows...

-          Each equipment load specified must be assigned a fractional
schedule.  You may choose to use 0's and 1's to model ON/OFF behavior,
but eQuest left to its own devices generates hourly schedules which
apply such diversity here.

-          The hourly thermal effects of each specified equipment load
may be reduced further by means of specifying the sensible and latent
load factors - values from 0 to 1.  By default, I believe equipment
loads generated by the wizards will have whatever you may have specified
for sensible (1.0 by default) and 0.0 for the latent portion.  The sum
of these two factors cannot exceed 1.0, and these factors have no effect
on the amount of energy consumed - only the heat contributions.

In the referenced and on-going (?) thread (discussing the intent and
means of handling/satisfying the LEED 25% default process load rule) I
brought up the possibility of specifying additional equipment loads with
a sensible/latent fraction of 0.0 - effectively consuming additional
energy to reach the 25% mandate, but also contributing nothing to
internal heat gains.  It was suggested, and I'm currently in agreement,
that an easier and less seemingly subversive approach to meeting the 25%
rule and achieving the same intentions would be to instead specify a
direct internal load to the electric meter.  It should be noted some
feel strongly that the 25% rule itself ought to be ignored entirely, but
if this topic interests you I'd suggest replying to that discussion
thread for clarity's sake ;).

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER