[Equest-users] Daylight Schedules/Controls

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri May 14 14:51:43 PDT 2010

Omar,

I think (and I'm encouraging you to confirm - this is just from memory)
if you explore the help files you'll find that daylighting controls
crank out an hourly fractional multiplier to apply to the space lighting
kW.  If you have a fractional lighting schedule (instead of ON/OFF),
then that hourly fraction would be applied as well - useful if you want
to simultaneously explore blanket reductions or account for occupancy
sensors in the way 90.1 would have us do it.

Example:  If you have 10kw of lighting in a space, a fractional lighting
schedule of 0.9 and your daylighting controls dim your fixtures' input
watts to 0.2 of full for a given hour, then your hourly consumption
would be 0.9x0.2x10kW = 1.8kW.  1.8kW would apply for electrical
consumption and would be passed on to the thermal loads portion of the
program, where it might be reduced/modified by sensible and/or latent
fractions and/or the various "fraction to space/plenum" inputs you may
decide to define, to determine the hourly internal heat contribution.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

25501 west valley parkway