[Equest-users] Baseline Chilled Water Loop

Bishop, Bill wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Tue Nov 16 11:37:43 PST 2010

I raised the question initially with John offline. My interpretation of “pump power shall be 22 W/gpm” is that each pump in a primary/secondary system should have this power. There is no wording that indicates that it should be otherwise, though I see Richard’s point that “gpm” could be interpreted to mean CHW produced. My chilled water system design experience is limited, so I don’t have a sense of “typical” CHW system pumping power. Using only the system that I am currently modeling for a project, the proposed primary pumps are 28 BHP and 953 gpm, or 21.6 W/gpm for the primary loop. The secondary CHW pump uses a 20 HP pump at 380 gpm. I don’t have the BHP, but using 16 BHP results in 31 W/gpm for the secondary loop. So, my sample size of one already uses more pump power than a baseline system with 22 W/gpm applied to each of the primary and secondary pumps.

Bill

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, LEED® AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects LLP
Mechanical Engineer

 134 South Fitzhugh Street                 Rochester, NY 14608
T: (585) 325-6004 Ext. 114            F: (585) 325-6005
wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com           www.pathfinder-ea.com <http://www.pathfinder-ea.com/>
P   Sustainability – the forest AND the trees. P*