[Equest-users] Solar panels

Peter Hillermann peterh at westallarchitects.com
Mon Nov 8 07:48:27 PST 2010

Alan,

Solar panels are tough. I use Ecotect to check the solar reflectance and
solar gain of a specific item. You can set individual planes to different
sets of properties and watch the reflection of sun rays. It also helps with
shadow studies (Parapets, roof top equipment, buildings near by). There is a
button called solar exposure which is really what you are looking for.

I have never done solar panels in eQuest. Also when filling out the LEED
form we used calculated method. I would check into a software that studies
solar exposure or just use PV Watts calculator. I don't really understand
the reflectivity of the roof as it relates to solar panels, but then again I
love to learn.

Thanks,

PETER HILLERMANN

peterh at westallarchitects.com