[Equest-users] Modeling inefficiencies of existing buildings

R B slv3sat at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 08:37:09 PST 2010

My first reaction is that you would need other tools that are more flexible
in allowing for system descriptions. Following are some suggestions (which I
have not tried) so I would be interested in knowing how you finally end up
modelling these in eQuest.

Q1 - You could calculate the amount of reheat energy at 30% that goes into
each zone and input that as an internal source energy, with a schedule. I
think this will work but maybe it has some repercussions that I have not
thought about. Another option could be that you set the min flows to 0.3 on
the air side as well as the hot water loop (not sure if this will work).

Q2 - See if setting the lighting type to REC-FLOUR-RSV and changing the
light-to-space, and light to-return makes any difference.

SUS-FLUOR                 Suspended, surface mounted or recessed/non-vented
fluorescent or HID.

REC-FLUOR-NV            Recessed fluorescent or HID not vented to return air
or supply air.

REC-FLUOR-RV            Recessed fluorescent or HID vented to return air.

REC-FLUOR-RSV          Recessed fluorescent or HID vented to supply and
return air.

INCAND                      Incandescent or tungsten-halogen.
Q3 - Not sure what you could do here other than use the duct losses input
tabs in eQuest. There is a paper by LBNL folks - Duct Leakage Modeling in
EnergyPlus and Analysis of Energy Savings from Implementing SAV with
InCITeTM - that could give you some idea on what increases in energy to
expect. If eQuest does not give you expected results, you might want to go
to energyPlus. FSEC has done work on duct leakage and I think also
updated/implemented it in energygauge software (based on doe-2) - you could
see if they have any papers written about modelling it.

Thanks and good luck
-Rohini

Rohini Brahme, Ph.D. LEED AP
Building energy analysis, tool development, and training
Dallas/Fort Worth, TX