[Equest-users] pnuematic -> DDC controls

Paul Diglio paul.diglio at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 22 10:19:58 PST 2010

Vincent:

I have developed many projects that include the conversion from pneumatic to
electronic actuated valves and dampers.

I investigate the existing pneumatic control system to document valve and damper
overlap and other calibration errors and develop an Excel spreadsheet to
calculate the savings.  I often used Hobo dataloggers to track the existing
temperature and reset errors.

An important consideration is if the existing system employs discharge air
temperature reset and if this reset is based on OA or high-low space
temperature.  The more complex pneumatic systems of yesteryear can do either as
well as static pressure reset and even comparative OA-RA enthalpy.

A DDC system might not save much energy if replacing a well maintained and
calibrated pneumatic control system.  In addition, if the DDC programmer does
not calibrate the PID loops correctly, the DDC system might actually use more
energy.

Commissioning helps identify and correct this problem.

I don't think that I would try to calculate these savings using eQuest.  Excel
is a better tool for this function.

Good luck,

Paul Diglio