[Equest-users] LEED-parking garage question/advice needed

Pasha Korber-Gonzalez pasha.pkconsulting at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 06:12:58 PDT 2010

Hi,

I would like to get a few opinions from some fellow simulators on a modeling
approach for a LEED project.   Please share your opinion/advice if you are
interested.

Project:    Four separate buildings that surround an open-air parking garage
structure (all above grade.)--Location is Miami, FL
Intent:    All Four buildings (as a whole project) are going for LEED
certification.  Each building will be modeled in it's own .pd2 file as the
simulator would prefer to manage the models in this manner versus using a
campus modeling approach in a single .pd2 file.

USGBC recommendations where that the parking garage should be divided (or
split) into four pieces and 1/4 of the parking garage should be included
with the buildings in each of the separate model files.

The ISSUE is this:   My simulation gut instinct is telling me that this is a
really bad way to include the energy use of a parking garage in a project
model....(I was actually shocked that this was the advice from a LEED
representative.)    So I am trying to advise my colleague that it might be
better to not include the actual parking structure (i.e. separate shell) in
each model, but to calculate the lighting use (on a schedule of operation)
for the parking garage lighting and then simply add in that energy as a kW
input on a separate meter and assign a ltg operating schedule to it.    With
this approach it would be easier to take the advice of the LEED folks and
input 1/4 of the installed kW in each of the separate model files, rather
than wasting time with building in (& managing) another shell in each model
file.   (FYI-there are no other ECM's that will be accounted for in the
parking garage.)

What do you think of this approach?   Do you think that it is significant
and important to include the "physical" presence of the parking garage in
each of the model files?   What approach would you take?

Thanks for your time as always...

Pasha :)