[Equest-users] design flow input vs. SV-A supply flow reporting

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Oct 8 09:55:13 PDT 2010

First, thanks to Carol for elevating my understanding of elevation in
eQuest  (see what I did there??? it's a Friday alright)...

That was always a mystery to me and I'm finding elevation is indeed the
source of my CFM's bumping up (not doubling though) on at least one
previous project.

That said, Paul:

I'm pretty sure you can expect any entered zone-level design airflows
(including exhaust) to potentially override or otherwise mess with
system level airflow inputs if/when they ever sum to be larger.

If you specify a system-level design airflow which is below what the
loads require but not in conflict with any zonal inputs, eQuest appears
to simply adjust upwards for elevation if >0, then upward to the limits
of your entered max-flow-ratio, then follows through and spits back
unmet load hours in the results, as you'd expect, but importantly will
not inflate your system's design CFM beyond the max-flow ratio to
compensate for unmet loads - so it may be good to know whatever is
doubling the specified CFM in your model is probably not related to your
load inputs.

Oh yeah, the system sizing ratio (found on the first tab opening any
airside system) will inflate your airflows too if it's above 1.0 -
better check that.

Sidenote: The fasted way I know of to check resulting airflow results is
to be aware of the summary tab.  After a calc, highlight a system within
(or the project at the top of) the component tree under air-side HVAC
and click the summary tab underneath the toolbars.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

25501 west valley parkway