[Equest-users] design flow input vs. SV-A supply flow reporting

Paul Diglio paul.diglio at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 8 13:12:21 PDT 2010

Thanks everyone.

Paul Diglio

________________________________
From: Nick Caton <ncaton at smithboucher.com>
To: Matthew W. Higgins <MWHiggins at bpce.com>; Paul Diglio
<paul.diglio at sbcglobal.net>; Carol Gardner <cmg750 at gmail.com>;
cstalberg at naturalintelligence.us
Cc: equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Sent: Fri, October 8, 2010 11:55:13 AM
Subject: RE: [Equest-users] design flow input vs. SV-A supply flow reporting

First, thanks to Carol forelevating my understanding of elevation in eQuest
(see what I did there??? it’s a Friday alright)…

That was always a mystery to me and I’m finding elevation is indeed the source
of my CFM’s bumping up (not doubling though) on at least one previous project.

That said, Paul:

I’m pretty sure you can expect any entered zone-level design airflows (including
exhaust) to potentially override or otherwise mess with system level airflow
inputs if/when they ever sum to be larger.

If you specify a system-level design airflow which is below what the loads
require but not in conflict with any zonal inputs, eQuest appears to simply
adjust upwards for elevation if >0, then upward to the limits of your entered
max-flow-ratio, then follows through and spits back unmet load hours in the
results, as you’d expect, but importantly will not inflate your system’s design
CFM beyond the max-flow ratio to compensate for unmet loads – so it may be good
to know whatever is doubling the specified CFM in your model is probably not
related to your load inputs.

Oh yeah, the system sizing ratio (found on the first tab opening any airside
system) will inflate your airflows too if it’s above 1.0 – better check that.

Sidenote: The fasted way I know of to check resulting airflow results is to be
aware of the summary tab.  After a calc, highlight a system within (or the
project at the top of) the component tree under air-side HVAC and click the
summary tab underneath the toolbars.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.
PROJECT ENGINEER