[Equest-users] eQuest importing mini-gude

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue Oct 12 13:32:17 PDT 2010

To anyone who hasn't explored the eQuest import function yet - You gotta try this!

This oft-overlooked feature is a huge timesaver, and can make cutting in work from previous projects a breeze once you've wrapped your mind around the concept.  I've made and attached 2 quick example files to walk anyone through it:

1.       Unzip the example projects I've attached.

2.       Open either the WEST project or the EAST project.

3.       Switch to detailed edit mode if I forgot to save it that way (oops!) - a good point though:  you can't do this until after the wizards.

4.       Click File à Import File...

5.       Browse to and select the other project's .inp file (EAST or WEST)

6.       Follow the dialogues - eQuest will check for identically named items so as not to overwrite anything without your explicit knowledge.

Special note:  In these quick examples, I used the new (as of eQuest version 3.64) prefix functions in the wizards to ensure each project has unique and easily identifiable component names starting with WST or EST, so there should be zero conflicts.

7.       Check out the 3D view tab - your project now includes both buildings!

8.       Check out the component tree and notice how everything is clearly organized as staring with either EST or WST

If you should ever create a custom schedule/system/construction/etc. that you'd like to import into future projects, or if you want to draw something from a past project, isolate that work in the source-project's .inp file, save that text as a new, smaller .inp file, and you're ready to import!  When importing, eQuest will organize all components into the same sections of the target-project's .inp file, so don't worry about keeping everything in perfect order in your "snippet" .inp's.  Just remember to retain everything up to the ".." after each component.  It's also advisable to rename any saved components like this with some kind of unique/identifiable name to avoid "same-name" conflicts during import.

There you have it!  Go forth and start a reference library of things you'll use more than once if you haven't already!  If you're in a pay-it-forward mood, consider sharing any gems with the group at large - it's a great way to make friends ;).

Ciao,

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER