[Equest-users] Does eQUEST derate equipment for altitude?

Kendra Tupper ktupper at rmi.org
Thu Sep 2 11:53:02 PDT 2010

All,

I'm trying to get clarification on exactly how eQUEST handles the altitude
above sea level that is entered in Site Parameters. My understanding is this
affects the airflow sizing calculations for cfm, but does not change the
hourly air density for all calculations. If that is correct, then the
altitude only corrects the cfms at the zone and system level, but does not
derate equipment efficiencies. So, if you were to enter the altitude above
sea level, you should then enter your airflows at sea level, but enter all
equipment efficiencies at the derated conditions for that altitude.

Is that correct?

Kendra Tupper, PE, LEED AP
Senior Consultant
Built Environment Team

Rocky Mountain Institute  |  T  303-567-8641 |  F  303-245-7213  |
www.rmi.org